The Game Rules are generally derived from the CFL and adapted for the level of competition in the ATFL. Any rules not covered in the following will be ruled the same as the current CFL rules or as determined by the officials at the game.
Calls made by officials during the game will be final and understood to be made with their best judgment and applicable to both teams.
DRAFT RULES AND ELIGIBILITY
- To be eligible for the Draft, every player must register and pay in full for the upcoming season. Fees may be etransferred to email@example.com
- The draft order will be determined by the numbers pulled from a hat by each Team Rep.
- A Team Rep may select any player on the list, with the exception of quarterbacks and pre-determined family member combinations.
- Draft picks may not be traded.
- Player trading may be conducted after the draft is over.
- Team Reps must contact their drafted players and inform them of the date, location, and start-time of their 1st game.
***NOTE TO CAPTAINS***
Please instill in your Team the need to arrive at least 15 minutes before their Game, and to let you know when they may be a no-show. Encourage your Team to familiarize themselves with these Game Rules.
Only registered and paid players assigned by the Executive Committee are eligible to play.
- Maximum 6 players on offense, 7 on defence.
- Maximum 6 players on kick offs (both kicking and returning team).
- Minimum 5 players or game is forfeited.
Players must have played in 1 regular season games to be eligible for playoffs. Exceptions allowed for injured players returning and/or substitutes assigned by the Executive Committee.
SUBSTITUTIONS and ABSENT PLAYER REPLACEMENTS
League players from other teams may be added to a team with 4 players or less to avoid a forfeit – at least one player from the team must be present.
Permitted replacements will be determined based on draft-rank of the absent players. Players drafted in the first 3 rounds may only replace other absent players drafted in the first 3 rounds. Players drafted after round 3 may fill in as a replacement for any other player to a maximum of 5 players for that team.
A forfeit will occur when a team fails to field at least 5 players, per standard rules above. The team winning a forfeit game shall be awarded the average plus-minus for that week; the losing team will be awarded 0 points.
Team Game Shirts are provided by the A.T.F.L., and will be made available at the Field for the 1st game of the Season. Game Shirts become the property and responsibility of the players.
- Players must wear Team Game Shirts (or a shirt of the same colour - ONLY if necessary)
- Each team must provide their football and tee.
- Metal cleats or baseball spike are not permitted.
- Jewellery must be protected by tape, or removed.
- Only prescription eyewear is permitted.
2 to 3 Referees will be assigned to each game. Refs are expected to arrive at the designated field in time to set-up for the 1st Game. Refs will apply the league rules to the best of their judgement. Remember, this is a recreational league - players are expected to accept and respect the Referees’ decision in the spirit of sportsmanship.
Any abuse of officials will not be tolerated, and may result in a game ejection, suspension, or league expulsion.
A Head Referee will be assigned to each game and will be responsible for the following:
- Making any final decisions to settle disputes on game day.
- Communicating any issues or major concerns to the Executive Committee
- Recording the game’s player list.
- Submitting the game’s statistics to the Executive Committee.
A Referee will conduct a coin toss before each game. The team that wins the toss may choose to ‘RECEIVE’ of ‘DEFER’:
(1) ‘RECEIVE’: Will receive the opening kickoff at the end of the field decided by the opposing team; the opposing team will have the option to receive or kick to start the second half.
(2) ‘Defer’: Gives the choice to the opposing team, postponing the winning team’s decision until the second half. If the opposing team chooses to ‘RECEIVE’ – then (1) applies. If the opposing team chooses to kickoff, then the team that won the toss will receive the opening kickoff.
Referees will be the Game Time-Keepers.
The Clock will run continuously from kickoff, except for:
- Change of ends to start the 3rd and 4th quarters.
- In the event of an injury.
- Team Timeout – each team allowed 1 per Half.
- Half-Time (5 Minutes).
1st and 3rd Quarter: The clock will start upon the opening kickoff, and will run non-stop for 18 minutes. A ‘3 minutes remaining in the quarter’ signal will be announced.
2nd and 4th Quarter: The clock will start by a referee whistle and arm signal, and will run non-stop for 15 minutes. A ‘5 Minutes to 5 Plays’ signal will be announced. Upon expiration of the 5 Minutes, a ‘5 Plays Remains’ will be announced and counted down to ‘last play of the half or game’. Accepted penalties will NOT count as a play in these scenarios.
Conversion plays and kickoffs will not be timed.
Teams will be allowed sufficient time – within reason – to ready themselves after each play. The whistle will indicate there are 25 Seconds to ‘Put the Ball In Play’.
- This is a 1 (ONE) Hand Touch League
- Teams have 3 Passing Downs from behind the Line Of Scrimmage to gain 20 Yards for a 1st down – marked by the Referee
- The QB will be afforded 4 Steamboats to release the Ball, before the Rusher encroaches (that’s crossing the line of scrimmage folks)
- The Rusher MUST be at least 1 Yard Back on either side of the Center – ON EVERY PLAY
- The Line Referee will count the 4 Steamboats (1 Steamboat...2 Steamboat...)
- The Line Referee will Stop counting IF: (1) Fumbled Snap From Center; (2) Lateral to another Player in the Backfield; (3) Lifting the Ball after placing it on the ground for a Kick
- If the Rusher encroaches before the 4th Steamboat, he will be penalized 5 Yards. The Offense may decline the penalty depending on yardage gained
- All passes must be thrown Downfield from behind the Line Of Scrimmage
- Backfield in Motion by multiple Players is legal
- Laterals are legal, but the ensuing pass MUST be thrown from behind the Line Of Scrimmage
- A secured Ball is a part of the Player, and if Touched, the Player is Touched
- If a player is touched while Bobbling the ball, the Player is considered touched at the point the Ball is secured – and may not be advanced
- Fumbles & Laterals will be blown dead and becomes the Line-Of-Scrimmage where the Ball hits the ground
- BLOCKING IS NOT ALLOWED. BY JUDGEMENT OF THE REFEREES - Players attempting to obstruct an opponent’s pursuit of the Ball Carrier, will be penalized 10 Yards at the end of the Play
- Diving forward to gain additional yards is NOT PERMITTED, and the Ball will be will be placed at the point of the dive. The Player will be warned, and continued diving by the same player, may result in a penalty
- If a Player goes Out-Of-Bounds and returns In-Bounds during the same play, the Player becomes an INELIGIBLE RECEIVER
- If any Player makes contact with the goal post, THAT Team will be penalized 5 Yards
- If an Eligible Receiver catches a ball first touched by another Offensive Player, the Play will be considered over at the point first touched
- If a pass hits ANY part of the Goal Posts, the play is Dead
- Touchdown = 6 Points
- Passing Conversion = 2 Points - attempted from the 15 Yard Line
*** An intercepted Ball may be Returned to the other EndZone. 2 Points are awarded to the Intercepting Team
- Kicking Conversion = 1 Point - attempted from the 15 Yard Line
- Field Goal = 3 Points
- Missed Field Goal = 1 Point if the ball goes Out-Of-Bounds in the EndZone
*** The ball may be brought out to the 35 Yard Line for the next Offensive play, OR the Scoring Team may be asked to Kickoff from THEIR 35 Yard Line
- Missed Field Goal = 0 Points if Ball is DOWNED inside the EndZone
*** The ball may be brought out to the 35 Yard Line – OR – to the point of the Kick, whichever benefits the Offense
*** A missed Field Goal that DOES NOT hit any part of the Goal Post, may be Returned
- Blocked Field Goal with no obvious re-direction, Caught in the air, may be Returned
- Blocked Field Goal, Ball on the Ground, is turned over at the original Line-Of-Scrimmage
- PUNT = 1 Point if the ball goes Out-Of-Bounds in the EndZone
*** The ball is brought out to the 35 Yard Line for the next Offensive play
*** If the Ball touches any part of the Goal Post ON THE FLY, the ball is considered Dead, and the Line-Of-Scrimmage will be the 35 Yard Line
*** If the Ball touches any part of the Goal Post after hitting the ground, the ball is considered Dead, and the Line-Of-Scrimmage will be the 20 Yard Line
- Kickoffs are initiated from the 45 Yard Line of the Kicking Team, and ‘giving yards’ is not required
- ONSIDE Kickoffs are NOT ALLOWED
- The Ball is Dead if Touched / Downed by the Kicking Team
- If the Ball goes Out-Of-Bounds in the Field-Of-Play, the Line-Of-Scrimmage will be at that point, or at the Receiving Team’s 45 Yard Line – whichever benefits the Receiving Team
- If the Ball touches any part of the Goal Post ON THE FLY, the ball is considered Dead, and the Line-Of-Scrimmage will be the 35 Yard Line
- If the Ball touches any part of the Goal Post after hitting the ground, the ball is considered Dead, and the Line-Of-Scrimmage will be the 20 Yard Line.
- Punts & Kicks will NOT be blown dead if a player muffs catching them unless, in the ref’s opinion, there is a safety concern as a result of oncoming defender(s)
- Kicking team is not permitted to recover their kick. However, any touching of the ball by the kicking team or any ball that comes to rest will be blown dead and spotted at that point
- Fumbles & Laterals will be blown dead as soon as they hit the ground and spotted where the ball hit the ground
- Objectionable Conduct: 15 yards – ALL Players warned – THEN Ejection on 3rd TEAM occurrence (Profanity; Obscene or Insulting language or Gestures to ANY Player or Referee)
- Pass Interference: 10 Yards from the spot of the foul – 1st and 20
- Holding: 10 Yards from the Line-Of-Scrimmage – Replay the Down
- Offside: 5 Yards - Replay the Down *** The Non-Offending Team may choose to decline
- Blocking: 15 Yards from the end of the play – ALL Players warned – THEN Ejection on 3rd TEAM occurrence
- Rough play: 15 Yards from the end of the play – ALL Players warned – THEN Ejection on 3rd TEAM occurrence
- Illegal Forward Pass: 10 Yards and Loss Of Down – If the Quarterback crosses the Line-Of-Scrimmage
- Intentional Grounding (Avoiding a Loss): Loss Of Down – Ball is placed at the point where the Quarterback released the Ball
- Head-Tag / Strike: 15 Yards from the end of the play – ALL Players warned – THEN Ejection on 3rd TEAM occurrence
- Offensive Pass Interference: 10 Yards back from the Line-Of-Scrimmage - And loss of down